Friday 22 January 2016

A More Ambitious Upgrade - Part 17

Unfortunately, not much more to report - too many tussles with other parts of the household in the interim, having things go wrong seems to go in cycles! The only real progress with the audio is that I have started experimenting with adding some interference reduction measures, which appear to be helping matters - the CD player, as I would have expected, seems to be the more susceptible - meaning, it needs an extremely clean electrical environment for there not to be obvious degradation. Wireless phones, as in mobiles and home units, are as bad offenders as they have been in the past, and I have yet to find a definitive solution for this in general - perhaps only a 100% thoroughly re-engineered system will be completely immune from audible effects ...

The system currently hovers between conjuring and non-conjuring - if all the stops are pulled out then the quality constantly delights, I can put on a CD I haven't heard in years and it's a real pleasure, the texture of the sound draws me in and immediately there's a skip in my step. But, it only takes something like a mobile phone operating in the house to cripple that, the injection of the accompanying electrical disturbance is enough to contaminate the low level detail, and the speakers become very obvious, they don't "disappear".

Also, I really must get cracking and do some proper recordings of the system playback, and upload - at the moment I can get stuck too easily in Round Tuit territory ... more effort is needed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment