Thursday 12 November 2015

A More Ambitious Upgrade - Part 8

Another nice little step forward ... I was noting that a very low key ambient music CD, designed for meditation background filler, which has very long, richly harmonic notes had a decided rattly tone coming in - this sounded like speaker misbehaviour. I had sorted out the obvious weaknesses of the internals of these cheap speakers some time ago, was there something more to be done ...? Turned out that an elastic material that I had applied some time ago to decouple the tweeter from its support had gone rock solid in the interim, it just crumbled away in slivers when a knife was applied! OK, this was a definite issue!

As a simple experiment - the type I prefer! - I applied good ol' Blu-Tack to the support areas in such a fashion that this goo was the sole method holding the treble driver in place; the screws were left off entirely. Definitely not a production line process, but good enough to give me answers - and so far a positive outcome. An improvement in clarity, dynamics ... another step closer to convincing sound ...

Update: an interesting aspect of higher quality sound is that one's brain can assimilate and process all the information coming from the playback source, and separate that from all peripheral and echo sound data with ease. I say this because the NAD system while I've been working on it is positioned 1/3rds length ways into the work room, facing the closer wall to it; when I sit at my laptop and do whatever, like updating this post, the speakers are facing completely away from me, so the sound for me is that bouncing from the walls and glass, mostly indirect input to my ears. Yet the sound totally "works", is completely authentic in character, requires no excuses for the fact that my hearing position is as bad as I could make it ...

No comments:

Post a Comment