Wednesday 23 December 2015

A More Ambitious Upgrade - Part 13

A cautionary tale ...

This one is against me ... it's happened to me many times in this audio game over the years, and us humans being the way we're made, it's so easy to stumble into making the same error, over and over again - a little bit of success encourages a step too far, too fast ... we just want a bit more of that satisfying success, to keep feeding the drip ...

Which is to say that I overdid the dressing of the internal cables I mentioned in the previous episode, in the interim. Let's just make it a bit better, why not, was the thought. Trouble was, I was disturbing the stable physical equilibrium of those cables, established over a long period of time - and the result was a deadening of the sound, I had definitely lost something! Trying a number of recordings to check ... no, I had gone backwards, by a good margin.

Luckily, a good guess and just effectively reversing one of those "improvements" made a substantial difference - I was now back in much better territory in quality terms. So, I will proceed far more carefully with further experiments in refining the cabling layout; the quality of the sound is now such that a single wrong decision in this area can be markedly audible ...

Update: Hooray! Undid a few more of those wrong moves, a bit more fine tuning of alignment of the cables ... and, I can confidently say, we have conjuring!!

An ex-library CD, Vaughan Williams, Fantasia on a Theme by Tallis, 1976, Boult and the LPO, is working its magic - low level strings are special, lovely "bloom" to the sound, deep, rich resonance from the double basses; one can just fall into the sound ... this is what one is after ...

No comments:

Post a Comment